Stay & VISA Visa

Stay & VISA


Entry Requirements for Foreigners

  1. Valid passport (can be substituted by certificate for seaman): Those with expired passports will not be allowed to enter the country.
  2. Valid visa : Entry must be made prior to the visa's expiration date. In addition, entry may be denied, should the purpose of the visit is deemed not to match the visa type.
  3. Must not fall into the prohibited entry category: Those that classify as international terrorists, former illegal immigrants, or other such categories are forbidden from entering Korea

Designated vVsa-free Entry

  1. Considering international convention, mutuality doctrine, national profit and other such factors, certain countries are granted visa-free entry permissions. (As per 1 March 2017. Currently, 48 countries) Nationals of the following countries are allowed up to 30 days of visa-free sojourn for tourism or visitation Exceptions: Canada is allowed up to 6 months, and United States, Australia, Hong Kong, Slovenia, and Japan are allowed up to 90 days.

    Continent Countries (Stay period)
    Asia [10 countries] Macao (90 days), Brunei, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Japan (90 days), Qatar, Taiwan (90 days), Hong Kong (90 days), Kuwait (90 days), Bahrain
    North America [2 countries] United States (90 days), Canada (6 months)
    South America [5 countries] Guyana, Argentina, Ecuador,Paraguay, Honduras (30 days)
    Europe[11 countries] Monaco, Vatican, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Cyprus, San Marino, Serbia (90), Montenegro, Slovenia (90 days), Andorra, Croatia(90)
    Oceania [13 countries] Guam, Nauru, New Caledonia, Micronesia, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Kiribati, Fiji, Australia (90 days), Marshall Islands, Palau, Tuvalu, Tonga
    Africa [5 Countries] South Africa, Seychelles, Mauritius, Swaziland, Egypt (5 Countries)

    ※ In the case of Indonesia and Lebanon, diplomatic and passport holders are allowed to enter the country without authorization.

  2. Frequent Immigrants

    ⦁Target Countries: Countries that are not authorized to enter Japan, except China, Cuba and Macedonia
    ⦁ Eligibility: Foreigners who have entered the country more than 4 times in the past two years or have entered the country more than 10 times in total (Foreigners who have not stayed illegal stay or other criminal law during their stay in Korea)
    ※ A person who has entered China more than 4 times in the past 2 years or more than 10 times in total has issued a visa at the discretion of the local diplomat at the discretion of the local diplomat.

  3. Transit tourists bound for another country

    ⦁Eligible countries: Applicable to all countries (except for Macedonia, Cuba, Syria, Sudan and Iran) that are not granted visa-free entry into Korea.
    ⦁ Applicable to
    - Persons holding a visa (re-entry permit, permanent residency, etc.) to enter the U.S. (including Guam and Saipan), Canada, Australia, or New Zealand (hereinafter referred to as "the four advanced countries")who transit through Korea to go to one of the four advanced countries, who stay in one of the four advanced countries and take a direct flight from the country to Korea to go to a country of origin or a third country.
    - A person who has an entry visa for one of 30 European countries, and wishes to travel to 30 European countries through South Korea, or departs from one of 30 European countries, and wishes to travel one’s home country or the third country through South Korea.

    ⦁ Eligibility
    - A person who has a departure ticket to the countries above within 30 days from South Korea, or who has not been an illegal alien and non endorsable offences.
    - In the past 3 years, a person who has not been denied entry to Korea, who has not given deportation order from Korea and a person who has not been an illegal alien and a person who has not violated laws.
    - A person who stayed in transit country or stopover country within 3 days
    -For e Visa holders, visa must be attached to traveler’s passport and who is traveling from the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand through South Korea are allowed to enter Korea without a visa.

    ⦁ Requirements
    - If you are a Chinese group tourist holding a group-tourist visa to Japan and meet certain requirements (e.g. using a travel agency that only attracts Chinese group tourists), you are permitted to enter Korea without a visa.
    - If you hold an e-visa to Australia and a visa label is attached to your passport, you are permitted to enter Korea without a visa. However, if the label is not on your passport, you are granted no-visa entry only when you depart from Australia and transit through Korea.

    ※ Japanese individual visa holders are excluded as of 1 May, 2016
    30 European countries: Greece, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Rumania, Luxemburg, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Malta, Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia, Iceland, Ireland, Estonia, United Kingdom, Austria, Italy, Czech, Cyprus, Portugal, Poland, France, Finland, Hungary

  4. No-visa Entry for Foreign Transfer Passengers

    ⦁ Eligible Applicants
    - General Transfer Passenger: In addition to existing eligible persons for the no-visa entry for transfer tourists bound for a third country, a foreigner who transfers at Incheon International Airport to their home country or a third country, and those who participates in the Transit Tourism Program
    ※ Must possess a transfer ticket and stay in the metropolitan area within 72 hours
    ※ nationals of 11 countries with visa requirements for Jeju Island are not included. (Ghana, Nigeria, Macedonia, Sudan, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Kosovo, Cuba, Palestine)
    - Chinese Group Tourists holding a Japanese Group Visa: Chinese group tourists holding a Japanese Group Visa, transferring through Korea, and are arriving from China bound for Japan, or arriving from Japan bound for China
    ※ List of the tourists must be submitted 24 hours in advance, must have a transfer ticket within 15 day of departure.
    - Jeju Transfer Group Passengers: Chinese group tourists arriving from China admitted at the Incheon, Gimpo, Gimhae, Cheongju, Yangyang, Muan, or Daegu International Airport are allowed to stay for up to 5 days and are intending to travel to JejuIsland
    ※ Must participate in the transit tour programs operated by the appointed travel agenciesand hold a confirmed ticket for Jeju within 5 days

    ⦁ Regarding Jeju Transfer Group Passengers
    Point of Entry Possible Airports for Departure Possible Travel Regions
    Incheon Int’l Airport Incheon, Gimpo, Jeju Metropolitan area (Seoul, Incheon,Gyeonggi, Gangwon Province)
    Gimpo Int’l Airport
    Gimhae Int’l Airport Gimhae, Incheon, Gimpo, Jeju Busan, Daegu, Ulsan, Gyeongsang Province, Metropolitan area
    Daegu Int’l Airport Daegu, Incheon, Gimpo, Jeju
    Yangyang Int’l Airport Yangyang, Incheon, Gimpo, Jeju Gangwon Province, Metropolitan area
    Cheongju Int’l Airport Cheongju, Incheon, Gimpo, Jeju Daejeon, Sejong, Chungcheong Province, Metropolitan area
    Muan Int’l Airport Muan, Incheon, Gimpo, Jeju Gwangju, Jeolla Province,Metropolitan area

  5. Japanese Tourists/ Travelers

    An agreement was made between Korean and Japanese governments on March 1st, 2006 in the interest of reciprocity and encouraging individual interchanges between Korea and Japan. Based on this agreement, nationals of both countries whose purpose of travel is short term visit or tourism are granted visa exemption, so long as the following conditions are met.
    - Duration of stay: Up to 90 days
    - Purpose - Tourism, business, attendance of a conference, private visit (relatives, friends, etc), or any such non-profit activities.

  6. Special Entry arrangements for Jeju island

    Eligible foreigners: Nationals of all countries not allowed visa-free entry into Korea (save for the exceptions listed below) that enters via Jeju airport for tourism or transit.
    Special entry arrangements for Jeju island is denied to nationals Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Libya, Cuba, Syria, Macedonia, Palestine, Afghanistan, Nigeria and Ghana
    Duration of stay Up to 30 days
    Permitted area / range Jeju island
    Conditions of entry Those that arrive directly into Jeju island by flights or ships.

  7. Re-entry permit holders

    - Registered foreigners with re-entry permit that enters Korea within the given re-entry date are allowed to enter without a visa.
    - Registered foreigners who are nationals of countries that are exempt from re-entry permit (listed below) may enter without a visa as long as it is within their initial period of sojourn.
    France, Suriname, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Liechtenstein, and Germany (C-2, D-7, D-8, D-9)

  8. Holders of Passport issued by recognized international organizations

    - A staff of the United Nations or special organization who have a travel document, namely, LAISSEZ-PASSER issued by U.N. office is allowed to enter Korea without a visa and is granted to stay for 30 days.

  9. APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC, APEC Business Travel Card)

    - In order to facilitate smooth economic operations of economists, visa-free entry is permitted to those that meet the following conditions. APEC Business Travel Card holders are given Short Term Business (C-2) visa status, and are allowed to stay for up to 90 days.

    ※ Eligible countries (18 countries as of October, 2009)
    Korea, Australia, Brunei, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Peru, Philippines, Taiwan,

Departure Inspection of Foreigners

Foreigners are free to leave Korea at their will, and by default, the right to do so may not be restricted. However, exceptions are made to those who involved in acts of crime or any such activities that justifies such restriction. In extreme cases, one may be forcefully deported without consent.


- Those that exceeded their allowed period of stay may leave the country after complying with prescribed procedures at the Immigration Bureau.
- Registered foreigners that are permanently departing the country must return their foreign registration cards during the departure inspection.
- Failure to return the card is a breach of Immigration Act Article 37, and may result in negligence fines.
- Registered foreigners wishing to re-enter the country within the granted period of stay must obtain a re-entry permit ( not applicable to the following countries with re-entry waiver agreements).
※ France , Suriname , Belgium , Netherlands , Luxemburg , Switzerland , Sweden , Denmark , Norway , Finland , Liechtenstein , and Germany

  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

(61475) 광주광역시 동구 중앙로196번길 5 (금남로3가) 1-2층
Tel. 062-226-2732~4 (운영시간: 월~토 09:30-18:00, 점심시간: 13:00-14:00) Fax. 062-226-2731 E-mail. 이메일
Copyright © Gwangju International Center. All rights reserved.