Stay & VISA Foreigners Staying in Korea

Stay & VISA

[ Stay & Visa ]

Foreigners Staying in Korea

Stay's Meaning

‘Stay’ is used to mean one of the following two things; One being the 'permission to enter' a given country, and the other being the 'consul's recommendation for a foreigner's entry request.'
In case of the Republic of Korea, the latter definition is used. Therefore, even if one were to have a Korean visa, one can still be denied entry to Korean soil should an immigration officer find some requirements unsatisfactory after inspection.

Visa types

Single Entry Visa : only single (one) entry is permitted for the duration of the visa.
Expiration date :Valid for 3 months from the date of issue.
Multiple-entry visa : Multiple entries are permitted for as long as visa remains valid.
Expiration date : Valid for
- Diplomacy (A-1) / Conventions/Agreements (A-3) visa status: 3 years from date of issue.
- Visa provided under multiple-entry visa agreement: duration specified by an agreement.
- Visa provided for national benefit: duration specified by the Minister of Justice.

※ Notes :Should a visa applicant enter Korea prior to the actual issuance of the visa, it will be assumed that the applicant is withdrawing their application, and the issuance will be canceled.
Visa applicant must claim their visa within 3 months after:
- the date of application or
- the notification date of Minister of Justice's approval (applicable only if one is needed)
Otherwise, the applicant must apply for a new visa.
[Diplomacy- official business visa] diplomacy (A-1) / Foreign Government Official (A-2) / Agreement (A-3)
[Short term visit] Visa Exemption (B-1) / Travel/Transit (B-2)
[Non-profitable short-term visa] Short-Term News Coverage (C-1) / Short-term business (C-2) / Temporary visit (C-3)
[Work visa] Short-term business (C-4) / Supervisor (D-7) / Job seeking (D-10) / Professor (E-1) / Foreign language instructor (E-2) / Research (E-3) / Technology transfer (E-4)/ Professional employment (E-5) / Artistic performer (E-6) / Designated activities (E-7) / Training employment (E-8) / Non-professional employment (E-9) / Crew employee (E-10) / Working holiday (H-1) / Working visit (H-2)
[General long-term visa] Artist (D-1) / Student (D-2) / Industrial trainee (D-3) / General trainee (D-4) / Journalism (D-5) / Religion (D-6) / Supervisor (D-7) / Corporate investor (D-8) / International trade (D-9) / Visiting or joining family (F-1) / Resident (F-2) / Accompanying spouse / child (F-3) / Overseas Korean (F-4) / Permanent resident (F-5) / Marriage to Korean Citizen (F-6) / Miscellaneous (G-1)

Extension of Stay

In case of expiration of permission of stay, the foreigner shall receive permission for extension of stay if he/she desires to stay continuously in Korea.

Application Period for Extension

The foreigner shall apply 2 months before the expiration date. In case of applying for the extension after the expiration date, the individual shall pay the penalty according to Article 25 of Immigration Act.

How to apply:

Principal or principal’s agent (Please check if any of the citizens ' spouses (F-6) is qualified to act as a substitute) shall prepare the required documents (See the documents by the qualification) to the Immigration Office having the jurisdiction. However, applications can be made only when the Principal staying in Korea on the day of application. (Application and agent application in overseas is not possible)
※ Attached documents: Application of Permission for Extension of Stay, Passport, Alien Registration Card (If applicable), Attached Document per Status of Stay and Fee. To check the documents by the qualification, visiting the immigration office's .

Participation in activities uncertified for current sojourn status

Foreigners seeking to carry out activities beyond the limits of their current status (hereby referred to as unauthorized activity) without changing their status of stay must receive permission to do so prior to actually engaging in the said activity.
Should the aforementioned activities become the main purpose of their stay, such permission will not be granted, and they must therefore leave the country and re-enter with a new visa, or apply to change their status of stay.

General Principles

- Those with single-entry visa for less than 90 days of stay are not permitted to carry out unauthorized activities.
- If hours spent in unauthorized activities are longer than the original workplace, or if it brings in more income, then permission for unauthorized activities will not be granted.
- If the foreigner involved has a record of poor work conduct (such as maintaining multiple workplaces) or is otherwise considered to be acting against national interests, permission for unauthorized activities will not be granted.
- Permission for unauthorized activities is not required for those foreigners seeking to learn Korean at a college-run foreign institute or receive instructions from specialists of Korean traditional culture or arts.

How to Apply

The participal or participal's agent shall prepare and apply for required documents to the local Immigration Office.
Attached Documents: Application of permission for engage in activities beyond the current visa status, passport, Alien Registration Card (If applicable), Attached Documents per Status, Fee
※ Examples

- Foreign Student (D-2) holder seeking a part-time job (S-3)
- Religious Affairs (D-6), Professor (E-1)

  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

(61475) 광주광역시 동구 중앙로196번길 5 (금남로3가) 1-2층
Tel. 062-226-2732~4 (운영시간: 월~토 09:30-18:00, 점심시간: 13:00-14:00) Fax. 062-226-2731 E-mail. 이메일
Copyright © Gwangju International Center. All rights reserved.